Wednesday, September 26, 2007

How embarrassing....!

I had a bit of an accident as I was getting out of bed yesterday....

Our bed is actually situated on this mezzanine loft-thing, accessible by a ladder.

So yesterday I woke up late yet again (my body has gone back to its own weird yet normal schedule of falling asleep around 3-4 a.m. and waking up around 10-11 a.m. - I know it sounds weird, but trust me, this happens to be my natural body clock ever since I was a baby). I guess I woke up around 11 a.m. and lolled in bed until around noon.

I got up, clutching my iPod (to help me fall asleep, I listen to it every night) and my cell phone (makeshift alarm clock) and slowly put one foot down on the top step of the ladder. Clutching the side of the ladder with my left hand, I started to put the other foot down on the step below, when whhhhooooooossssshhhhhh! The foot that I thought was firmly placed on the step slipped, causing me to fall all the way down to the floor (The loft is pretty high up - I guess it was a fall that was over 6 feet high).

It was kind of scary, but I guess it was more the shock than anything else that had me all shook up. I ended up in a heap at the bottom of the ladder, half on the ladder and half crumpled into the corner against the wall and the radiator.

Anyway, at first I was worried I might have broken or fractured something, but after a few minutes I managed to extricate myself from my hole and crumpled myself into another heap on the floor a few feet away. The fall had knocked the wind out of me, and I was still in shock, but after about 10-15 minutes I realized I was quite able to stand up and sort of walk around.

I ended up with quite a few nasty bruises and swelling, mostly in the tailbone area, which made for quite painful walking, so I spent most of yesterday sitting down. Today I think I am much better - the bruises are now starting to appear and I've got some major ones on my arms, legs, and hips. The H is worried that maybe I should go to the hospital and get some x-rays done to make sure that I'm fine, but I don't think it's really necessary - the pain is not too bad in any case.

I guess you could say I was pretty lucky - it could have been much worse. It's mostly just really embarrassing more than anything else at this point.

**Update: I happened to stumble upon a tape measure, so I measured the distance from the top step of the ladder to the floor, and came up with about 2,25 meters. I have no clue what that is in feet, so I will let you all figure out what that is.

No comments: