Friday, December 7, 2007

Yay!

It's late at night, but I've been having insomnia lately - sometimes it's due to having been glutened, which I suspect I was recently, given that my stomach has been telling me, "Take THAT, bitch!"

Anyway, I am very, very excited because I will be back home in NYC in less than a week!

Plus, I get an entire week ALONE (well, alone with my mom) before the H shows up - he'll be arriving during my second week.

I am trying very hard not to think about the fact that I am supposed to be spending New Years Eve with the in-laws. Especially after I took a (silent) vow to never go back there again, as I keep getting glutened and suffer the consequences for weeks afterwards. I mean, how many people spend New Years with their in-laws, anyway? I had drinks with my best French friend the other night and he was all, "I'm going to this super cool party!" and when I told him, "Yeah, I'm going to be with the H. And his parents," my friend peered at me through his glasses and he was all, "Whoa. You are VERY brave. Bravo. I could not spend New Years Eve with my in-laws." (I kind of waited for him to extend an invitation to me to this super cool New Years party he was going to, but he did NOT. So no rescuing in sight. Yet.) My last hope is that Air France will strike again (AFTER I am already in the U.S.) and that my flight back to Paris will be affected and I won't be getting in until well into January....

I am so totally going to the sushi place I go to with my best friends, and I am DEFINITELY running, not walking, to Risotteria, which is only the best (gluten-free) restaurant EVER. And I get to go to Barnes & Noble and buy books. And I'm going to get a MacBook. And I am going to go with my mom to get a REAL Christmas tree, not these skinny little leafless sickly things they have in France. One that smells really good, too.

Anyway, I am really starting to perk up a little more these days. I mean, I was REALLY depressed for awhile - to the point that I was literally crying hysterically all day, every day, for weeks on end. But, as mom pointed out, I will be home very soon, and the days go by quickly, so I'll be home in no time at all.

5 comments:

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Hmm. I've been doing hysterical crying jaggs, too. Good times.

Have a wonderful time in NY with your mom. (But can't you get out of new year's eve with the in laws? Can't H take you out for a nice dinner and drinks or dancing?)

parisiannewyorker said...

Ha ha! Yes, hysterical crying = good times. Oh, well. At least you feel better afterwards.

Unfortunately, I cannot get out of New Years - because we will be spending Christmas with my mom, so to calm down MIL we said we'd spend New Years with them. Plus, the H doesn't like busy places with lots of people and to him, the ideal New Years is very calm and quiet. Not to mention that his idea of a great time is hanging out with his family.

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Oh, okay. It's not like you LIVE in FRANCE and see your inlaws all the time or anything. You definitely should have to make up for the time you get to spend with your mom in the US over Christmas.

Sometimes I feel so lucky that Philippe's parents have retired to Spain. They're wonderful people, but still. 10 days in Sevilla last Christmas with them and I had to go take a nap every afternoon just to cope. (I hardly spoke French at the time, and it was just too much to be with them all day long, every day.)

parisiannewyorker said...

"Oh, okay. It's not like you LIVE in FRANCE and see your inlaws all the time or anything. You definitely should have to make up for the time you get to spend with your mom in the US over Christmas."

Haha! I don't know, my in-laws and the H and everyone are very weird in that way - like they have to see each other all the time and they take it as a personal insult if one of us doesn't show up. It was to a point where the H and I didn't go to their house for like, 5 weeks in a row and my MIL actually sent an e-mail to my mom, where she was all panicky. She went on and on in the email about how she hadn't seen us since the wedding, and she was very worried and upset. My mom wrote back to her, and said something along the lines of, "Well, these days, young people are busy and have all sorts of important things to do on the weekends."

Also very weird is that the H has this thing where he just LOVES to hang out with his parents and he gets very upset when I don't want to. So yes, I have to trade Christmas with mom for New Years with the in-laws. At least I will be able to collect my Christmas-present booty.

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Mmm, Christmas booty...