Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Transitions

Here I am, the day after Christmas, zooming around on my new MacBook...

After some debate, I chose the high-end white 13.3" Macbook rather than the black Macbook. It works like a charm, and it came installed with OS 10.5, which is excellent - it does cool things like giving me widgets and it even transferred all the contents from my old computer automatically.

But I can't help feeling guilty - because my Powerbook G4 is still sitting on the same desk, staring at me.

The thing is, the Powerbook isn't really dead yet - it just needs to be repaired (a little TLC, if you will) where the screen part is starting to break off from the rest of the computer. I had called Apple and asked for an estimate back when I was in Paris, and they said it probably wouldn't cost more than $200 to repair it.

But the thing is, it is still rather outdated as it lacks the new Intel chips that are in the new Macbooks, so no matter what, my new Macbook is still way faster than my Powerbook.

I confided my fears and guilt to the H.
Me: I don't know, I feel bad about my Powerbook. I mean, I have a very strong emotional attachment to it.
H: Well, it would be cheaper to just fix it up rather than get the new Macbook. We can do that if you want.
Me: No! I want a new computer!
H: Okay, so we'll get the new Macbook.
Me: But...my Powerbook...I feel bad. I'm abandoning it! I'm going to set up my new Macbook and my Powerbook will be all, "Why did you abandon me? Why am I not going back to Paris with you? WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ME ANYMORE???"
H: Er...okay...(looking perplexed)...but you realize that the new Macbook is like way faster and has a better processor, being that it's got the Intel chip and everything?
Me: I KNOW THAT. But then my new Macbook will be all, "Awwww yeeeah sucka!" to my Powerbook. And then my Powerbook will be left here at mom's to collect dust and be all alone...so lonely....
H: (impatient) So you want the new computer for Christmas, or what?
Me: Yes! I want the new computer. But my poor Powerbook.
H: (shaking head) Whatever.

Mom suggests that maybe when I come back to NY permanently I can take my Powerbook over to the Genius Bar and get some advice, like if I should get the breaking off part repaired and then buy 10.5 and install it, or just have it recycled.

In the meantime, I shall have to deal with my feelings of guilt and my unreasonable emotional attachment to a 3-year old Powerbook G4...

No comments: