Friday, November 30, 2007

12 days to go....

I have been REALLY depressed and upset lately but I've managed to calm down somewhat with the realization that in 12 days, I will be back in the U.S. for 17 days and I CAN'T WAIT.

Part of what has been bothering me is my gluten intolerance. As it is, few people are aware of this in the U.S. but it is so much worse in France, where if you have seasonal allergies, people think it's some rare medical condition.

The thing about gluten intolerance is that even the smallest crumb can make you sick. I myself cannot even tolerate being in a bakery for more than 2 minutes - all that flour in the air irritates my throat and nose pretty badly.

A lot of people who have celiac disease or gluten intolerance go to lengths to make sure that they live in a gluten-free environment - so that their household is entirely gluten-free. No bread, no pasta, no cakes, no CRUMBS.

If only I were so lucky! The H and SIL leave crumbs everywhere and don't bother cleaning them up, even when I ask them to do so. They say, "Oh, you are just over-reacting!" The problem is, I know it is the environment and cross-contamination issues I am having as my face has been experiencing a pretty bad break-out. Gluten intolerance/celiac symptoms vary greatly in each person. Some people don't have any symptoms. I happen to have crazy acne breakouts (the painful pimple kind), a weird eczema on my arms and legs (weird because I will break out on one arm or leg, and then a week later, it will appear on the other arm or leg in more or less the same area), and major stomach and indigestion problems. I've recently cut out all dairy products as I noticed major stomach pains after eating dairy. It pretty much feels like my body is all, "Take that bitch!".

My MIL tries very hard to be understanding about the whole thing, but she just doesn't realize how serious it is. She'll bake a pie or something and then try to force me to eat just the inside part, but I just don't want to even touch the thing. And then she'll make this whole production, like "Oh, poor Parisian New Yorker! We all get to eat pie but she can't have any at ALL!!!" This past weekend when we went to visit the in-laws, I refused to eat anything except for rice. MIL wanted to make it for me, but I still got sick even after eating the rice. Little wonder because there are always little crumbs everywhere (from all those baguettes they consume) and there is most likely a cross-contamination issue with her kitchenware.

The thing is though, everyone is convinced that I am just over dramatizing the issue. They're all like, "Oh, don't be silly, one crumb isn't going to hurt!", or "Just try a bite, you'll be fine." But what really gets my goat is that in my own apartment, the H and SIL are constantly contaminating everything and when I ask them to please be careful, they think I'm crazy. H has been accusing me of over-exaggerating, like when I ask him to please wash his hands after he's eaten bread.

Another thing is that food labels in France don't seem to be as strictly regulated as in the U.S. In the U.S. is it required by law to list all allergens, so most food packages will say "This product contains wheat/milk/peanuts/shellfish/soy" or whatever. Here in France though, the most random things contain wheat and it's not evident at all - you really have to read every single label, and even then, you can get glutened. For example, all hams and sausages contain wheat. Even certain yogurts and cheeses will have them. At least in the U.S. it will be more or less properly labeled, and a lot of restaurants are now offering gluten-free options.

The other thing that has been really bothering me is that the H and the in-laws will ask me questions about the U.S., but don't want to hear the truth about anything I say. For example: "Is it true that 90% of Americans don't have healthcare? Is it true that they're not allowed to treat you at a hospital if you don't have insurance?" and when I explain that no, it's not true, then they all get very defensive. MIL for example, was all "Well, you know, you say that it is not true, but here in France, they tell us on TV that what I say is true. And they show us Americans who are not treated in the hospital because they don't have insurance. And all the Americans we see on TV are all very overweight, so this is because you are always eating out in restaurants all the time." Sigh. Or this one: "Is it true that people who come from the ghetto can go to such a college as Harvard and then become become rich?" I'll say, "Well, of course, if the person has good grades and works really hard." Then they'll say, "Well, we don't believe you because that would just be impossible. How could someone from the ghetto be smart enough to get into a school like Harvard? How would they pay for it? And even if they become rich, they can't REALLY be rich, because once you get to be president of a company, you can't go any higher than that, and then you will stay at the same salary forever!"

So, combine the whole food problems with the whole not-wanting-to-hear-the-truth thing and you can imagine that I've been pretty frustrated and upset lately. Plus, to my EXTREME dismay, the in-laws have decided to come over this weekend - they are bringing SIL's boyfriend, who has some gift certificate or something he wants to use. Which means the in-laws will be here ALL AFTERNOON and they won't leave until SIL and her boyfriend get back from shopping, which is always around 7 - 7:30 pm, and SIL will be back in our apartment on Sunday around 7pm. MIL will surely be in "plein forme" as she always is, and will immediately sit down and gossip about what the neighbors are doing in their village, and panic about everything and anything.

Aaaaargh. Again. Anyway, I have a super plan: I will say that I have a stomach ache (which will surely be true, considering that I have been having them on a daily basis) and read in bed until they are all gone.

No comments: