Thursday, November 8, 2007

Guess who's coming...?

My MIL!
The in-laws are coming over on Saturday.
This is a very strange turn of events as they generally don't come to Paris unless it is important - like if they need to do work on the apartment, or dropping SIL (yes, the SIL lives with us - don't get me started) and all her stuff off at the apartment.

But apparently the in-laws are not planning to do any work on the apartment this weekend, so I'm not sure what the motive behind this visit is. I just hope she is not coming solely to tell us about yet another flaw in the American health care system.

Oh, well. At least MIL will bring us stuff like laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, and olive oil. And she most likely will have some gluten-free cookies for me. Yum. Except she always puts coconuts in them and I hate coconuts, but haven't worked up the nerve to tell her this. (I hate the taste and even the smell of them and don't get me started on the texture...it gives me the creeps). See, I'm pretty sure I must have mentioned the whole coconut-hating thing like maybe two years ago, but I guess she forgot. So one day she made a nice batch of freshly baked gluten free coconut vanilla cookies and she went on this whole speech about how she made them "especially for Parisian NewYorker, poor thing, she can't eat normal cookies like the rest of us". I was actually very touched by the gesture, so I couldn't really bring up my passionate loathing of all things coconut, because not only did I not want to hurt her feelings, but I felt like it would be very rude of me.

This has thus led to like, 25 batches of coconut cookies and while I appreciate this extremely kind gesture (because, aside from the coconuts, they are the best gluten free cookies I have ever eaten) I have been forced to eat all the cookies when I all I really want to do is have some sort of magical power where I can just extract all those coconut shreds and make them disappear. I even pleaded with the H for him to gently break it to his mom that I hate coconuts, but he has steadfastly refused. Now it's been almost 2 years of coconut cookies and it is way too late for me to tell her, "Hey MIL, love those cookies, but I happen to have an extreme hatred for all things coconut, so next time, could you just not use them? Thanks, that'd be great!"

I don't know, I mean if I were in her shoes, I'd be pretty pissed off at me too.

EDIT: Just found out that the in-laws have cancelled for this weekend. I must admit that I am quite relieved - no coconuts!

2 comments:

Ksam said...

Could you maybe tell her that you're starting to think you're developing an allergy to coconut? Like say that you're starting to get hives after you eat anything with coconut in it??

parisiannewyorker said...

Interesting suggestion, Sam.
Though, technically, I actually am allergic to coconuts - like with many raw fruits and vegetables, it makes my throat itch horribly. However, since I had allergy shots several years ago (didn't get to finish the full 5 year treatment) the throat itching thing has been much, much better.

I just feel bad because I do have many, many allergies, and it is hard to keep track of them all, especially for MIL given that allergies seem to pretty non-existent in this family.

Sometimes my own mom gets confused with all my allergies too.