Monday, November 26, 2007

La grève

So, all last week, there were strikes left and right - EDF/GDF (kind of the French equivalent of ConEd), the Opéra de Paris, La Comédie Française, a bunch of students who are really mad because the government has proposed giving the underfunded universities more money via private corporations (Gasp! Can you imagine how horrible that is?? *dripping sarcasm*), and most importantly, the transit workers.

Obviously, a transit strike is no walk in the park, but frankly, it is quite reminiscent of waiting for the 6 train in NYC when it's rush hour. It just seems much more unbearable because the subway cars here are teensy compared to the NYC subway cars. Buses were running, though not very frequently, so it was very much like taking the M34 crosstown bus - a good 20 minute wait and jam-packed.

Anyway, I managed to avoid taking mass transit whenever possible, though I did get on the 63 bus on my way to Italian class (for which only 5 other people showed up). I made sure to leave at 4 pm for my 5 pm class, and though the bus was quite crowded and slow, I managed to arrive at 4:55 pm.

The H has been quite mellow about the strikes - he walked to work every day, from our apartment at Trocadéro to his office at Strasbourg St Denis. It took him about an hour each way, so it's more or less like walking from my apartment in NYC on 14th Street and 1st Avenue up to, say, 77th and Lex. The H has actually taken quite a liking to the hour long walk, though he would grumble at the TV when they mentioned the strikes on the news ("Those jerks! I'd put them all in jail! Who do they think they are?!").

So all in all, it was not that unpleasant of an experience. However, this was not so for SIL, who did not go to school for an entire week, despite her classes not having been canceled. Finally, last Wednesday she decided to go to class.

That Wednesday evening was quite strange, as MIL called me around 8:30 pm and said, "Poor SIL. She was crying at Hôtel de Ville and so she called BIL and he went to pick her up and now she is going to eat at BIL and FSIL's apartment." (FSIL is BIL's girlfriend, aka Future Sister in Law). "Um. Okay...?" I said. "So, you don't have to make dinner tonight for SIL. She'll be home around 10 pm." said MIL. "Oh. I already made my own dinner. I figured SIL could make her own dinner," I said. "Oh," started MIL, "these strikes are SO AWFUL! My poor daughter. Can you believe she waited 2 hours for the bus and it never showed up?" "No, I cannot believe it," I said. "I would have started walking after 30 minutes." "Well, my poor daughter..." started MIL. "Oh!" I interrupted. "My dinner's ready! I'm totally starving. Okay, so, thanks for calling, and see you this weekend!" I rushed.

This weekend, the H and I went to the in-laws to celebrate FSIL's 30th birthday (which is actually at the end of this week. I still don't know why we celebrated it this weekend, though, instead of the next). I asked FSIL what had happened the previous Wednesday.
Me: So, was everything ok with SIL? Did you manage to calm her down? MIL says she was crying.
FSIL: I don't know what that was all about. BIL got a phone call from her and went to pick her up by foot. We fed her dinner and then we stuck her in a cab.
Me: Oh. Okay. Well, that's nice of BIL to walk over and pick her up.
MIL: (defensively) Well, the STORY is that SIL left school at 6 p.m. and at 8:15 p.m. she was STILL at Hôtel de Ville.
FSIL and H: (at the same time) Why was she at Hôtel de Ville?
FSIL: That's not even near her school.
H: Or the apartment.
MIL: I told her to take the bus because I didn't want her in the subway. I planned everything out for her. I looked on the bus map.
Me: Oh, well, it wasn't that bad actually. It's like in NYC when you have to take the 6 train and it takes FOREVER to come and then when you get to 42nd Street, the 4/5 just totally pulled out of the station and you're all like, "Crap!" Or vice-versa. Like if you're waiting for the 4/5 and you need to catch the 6 at 42nd.
MIL: (completely ignoring me) WELL, I did NOT want MY DAUGHTER in the SUBWAY! Did you SEE what it was like on the news? I do NOT want MY DAUGHTER SMUSHED into a subway car. Did you know, SO MANY PEOPLE had to go to the ER because they got their hands STUCK in between the doors. I mean, some people ALMOST lost a FINGER!!!! Some people even FAINTED! You could DIE in a situation like that! It's REALLY DANGEROUS!!!
Me: Oh, it's not so bad. Plus the stops are all really close and everything, so you're really only smushed for like, 15 minutes. You just have to be pushy and mean. It's way better than being smushed on the 4/5 which is SUPPOSED to be EXPRESS, but it goes at a snail's pace between 14th street and 42nd. It's really annoying when the 6 train you were hoping to catch passes the 4/5 like a bullet.
H: Why didn't she just walk to school? I mean, I walked it every day and it was quite pleasant. I think I'll walk to work from time to time, even after the strike is over.
MIL: ARE YOU CRAZY? SIL CANNOT WALK TO SCHOOL! Her school is SO FAR!
H: Uh, her school is like, 2 subway stops from where I work. It's not THAT far. It's like an extra 15 minutes.
MIL: Poor thing, she can't possibly WALK to school. I mean, it's fine for YOU but SHE can't do it.
FSIL: Oh, well, she could take a Velib.
MIL: (shrieking) NO WAY! I DO NOT WANT MY DAUGHTER TO RIDE A BIKE!
FSIL: Oh. Sorry. I just thought, you know, it's faster than walking.
MIL: ARE YOU CRAZY?!??! Do you KNOW how DANGEROUS a BICYCLE is in PARIS??? She could FALL OFF THE BIKE AND DIE!!!!!!!! (scowls angrily at FSIL, who happens to be a big fan of Velib)
FSIL: (shrugging). Okay. No bikes. Sorry. (Goes back to playing her Nintendo DS)
Me: (looking longingly at her DS while MIL yells at the H about how barbaric city life is during a strike, and how dangerous everything is for SIL) Hey, can I play after you?
MIL: (very panicked) And I told her to take the 72 bus, because I looked on the map for SIL, and planned out her bus itinerary for her, and then I told her where she should transfer, so I had her take the 72 since it goes to Pont de Grenelle.
Me: Dude, the 72 never comes even when there ISN'T a strike. The 72 is like, the WORST bus ever. It's always crazy crowded 'cause there's like, 20 minutes between each bus. I bet it didn't even run during the strike. It's so the M34 crosstown. Anyway. That's life in the city. It doesn't bother me. (To FSIL) Ooh, are you playing that brain tester thing? I totally rock the brain thing. I mean, I only have like, the highest score EVER.
MIL: City life is for BARBARIANS!!! It's TOO DANGEROUS! And those horrible strikers! They don't understand the damage they are inflicting on REGULAR PEOPLE. I mean, SO MANY people LOST THEIR JOBS and I bet the elderly had HEART ATTACKS and DIED in those inhumane, crowded conditions!
FSIL: I'm playing Zelda.
Me: Um, I wouldn't worry so much about the little old people. They're pretty sturdy. I mean, they push way harder than anyone else. And they're not afraid to step on your feet while they're at it. This little frail looking old lady shoved me really hard on the bus the other day. I totally shoved her back. And it was cool because no one knew it was me since it was so crowded.
MIL: (ignoring me, moaning and possibly getting teary-eyed): I mean, they kept my daughter from going to school! These strikers are just CRUEL! My poor daughter, she could have DIED while waiting for the bus. She could have been SMOTHERED to DEATH in the subway!
FSIL: Okay, MIL. You need to stop talking about the strike. You're creating unnecessary stress for everyone.
MIL: Well, they ARE cruel people. And selfish. And rude. My poor daughter....
FSIL: Okay, you REALLY need to stop talking about the strike and SIL. You are blowing things way out of proportion. Please. Calm. Down. Now.
MIL: Those barbarians!
FSIL: MIL! STOP IT. NOW.
Me: Hey, FSIL, she's totally not listening to you. Can I play your DS now?
FIL: Hey! It's 7 PM on the dot! Time for apéro! (runs like a madman to the kitchen to open wine).

3 comments:

ashtanga en cevennes said...

You write dialogue so well! This is so funny.

Is SIL a little tiny girl or a really young teenager or what? Sheesh, what a baby.

parisiannewyorker said...

Thanks for the compliment, Joy Suzanne!
SIL is 18, soon to be 19. I think she's just been babied a lot since she is the youngest child (the H is the middle child and there is a 12-year age difference between them) and she's also the only girl. MIL has always been much more protective of SIL than of anyone else in the family.

So I guess it's kind of normal, but I don't know - I'm the only child and a girl too but my parents never babied me as much as SIL.

Ksam said...

Seriously, I think our MIL's should dual it out!!! LOL