Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Shopping...

Now, anyone who knows me knows that I love to shop!

This weekend I went up to Woodbury Common with my mom. I normally am not a huge fan of outlet shopping, let alone outlet shopping at Woodbury Common. (Well, okay, I like how Woodbury Common is like this little village of stores). The nice thing about Woodbury Common is that they have stores of such prestigious names as Chanel, Space (a.k.a. Prada and Miu Miu), Dior, Gucci, Jimmy Choo, Ferragamo, etc, in addition to those outlet staples such as Bass, Van Heusen, Nine West, etc. The bad thing about Woodbury Common is that the styles they sell are like, a zillion seasons ago, and are kind of expensive considering that they styles are so old (like, a 5 season old YSL dress for $2000? Are you kidding me?) Also, it is inevitable that when you find something that a) you like a lot; and b) is not really recognizable from that S/S 2001 collection; and c) happens to marked down from $2000 to $200, it is never in your size!

Well, this weekend when I went to Woodbury Common, it was like the gods were with me. I found the perfect shoes for my wedding, and a nice white dress that I can wear for the garden party/games part of the wedding (we're not having a church wedding, and out appointment at the mairie is at 10 a.m. on Saturday, so we have an entire day to fill before the dinner part, so we are going to chill at the in-laws' large house/garden and play games like ping-pong, pétanques, and badminton. My mom suggested that I might not want to play badminton in my (white silk chiffon) wedding dress and insisted I get something a bit more casual in white cotton for the badminton part).

So here's what went down: I got a pair of beautiful Giorgio Armani shoes that are in a white floral fabric - really beautiful and comfortable - and it just so happened that they had one last pair left - IN MY SIZE!!! AND - it was marked down 50%, so instead of costing $406, they cost $230! (with the tax and everything). I also found a really cute Prada dress that is in white cotton, with some really interesting gathering and stitching on the waistline that was marked down from $570 to $260! I went all around the Prada (sorry, "Space") store and saw all these really cute dresses but none of them were in my size! When I saw this one, I saw they had a size 44 and a size 38. Now, usually I'm a size 36 on top and 38 on the bottom, so I wasn't sure the 38 would fit. The saleslady said they only had these two sizes left, so I tried on the 38 and it FIT PERFECTLY!

That said, I did see some really gorgeous things that I would have liked as well - a Giorgio Armani silk chiffon dress for the garden party that had an asymmetrical hemline, for example, but it was $2200! Then I saw a really beautiful pair of white satin Jimmy Choos for $400, which I almost got, but then I realized that the only time one wears white satin shoes is for a wedding, and so I would never be able to wear those Jimmy Choos again afterwards - I mean, if I'm going to spend that much money for Jimmy Choos, I would like to be able to wear them again and again and again....so the nice thing about the Armani shoes and the Prada dress is that I can wear them everyday.

Anyway, I promise that I will post pictures of the shoes and the dress when I get back to Paris next week - I've got my camera here in NY, but I forgot the cable that connects it to my computer, so I can't upload any pictures right now.

No comments: