Monday, August 20, 2007

Migration and fishing

I just read this interesting article in the New York Times this morning about migrant workers.

Well, it's actually about rich migrant workers - they mostly interview professors who teach at a university in the United Arab Emirates.

The article makes some interesting points about what appeals to those who move overseas to work.

I'm not really sure I agree with everything some of the interviewees say though.
It's really only a sweet deal to live overseas when you get transferred by your home company or if you get all your expenses paid.

Otherwise, it's pretty hard on anyone to have to move abroad and integrate into a foreign culture.

Here's another interesting article about the "fishing war" between France and Spain.

Hmmmph. All I can say is that it is typically French to go around blaming other countries and other people. It is NEVER the fault of the French. They're always mad about something - I personally think they are just still really mad that they haven't been a world power since, like, the 1400's.

Then again, I suppose I would be pretty bitter too - a few months ago, I had read several articles about when the UK opened up some of its archives and among the secret papers in there were proposals by the French to join the United Kingdom! (They were completely and totally rejected). Anyway, here is one of the articles about it. Oh, yeah, and not surprisingly, none of this happens to be in the French archives.

No comments: