Monday, April 30, 2007

Arrrrgggghhhh

Well, I ended up deleting the previous post about change and the French just because I realized it was one of those topics that would either be a really long post or several small posts and I just didn't feel up to explaining it anymore (for now). I try to avoid the long posts because as some of you have pointed out to me, you do not have very long attention spans and prefer the posts short and sweet. I suppose I will explain my whole change and the French theory at another time.

The past week has been crazy - I have been on a manhunt for a gluten-free wedding cake. This is no easy feat - most people in France have not even heard of gluten, let alone celiac disease or gluten intolerance. This is one of those things that really makes me wish I was still living in NYC - at least it is not too hard to get gluten free things!

In other news, I am heading back to New York for the month of May - I leave on May 6th, which is also the day of the final round of voting in France! Unfortunately my flight leaves really early in the A.M. (7:15 to Rome, where I will connect with a 10 a.m. to Newark), so I won't find out who won until I actually get into New York.

I just have to say that I am SO excited to be going to New York!!!! Here is what I am planning to do:

- Head straight over to Risotteria restaurant A.S.A.P.!!!! Gluten-free pizza, pasta, cake, and cookies, here I come! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Check out Mom's jewelry to see if I can find myself a suitable engagement ring that I can have redone.
- Head to Takahashi on Avenue A for some delicious sushi. I am totally going to order eel rolls and yellowtail & scallion rolls. Yay!!!!!
- Go shopping for fabric for my wedding dress.
- Go see Spiderman 3, which I think opens right before I get into New York.
- Go see Pirates of the Caribbean 3, which opens right before I leave for Paris. (Note: must reserve tickets via Fandango or Moviefone!)
- Must satisfy craving for chicken tandoori on 6th street.
- Shop at Whole Foods - check out gluten-free cake mixes for wedding cake (just in case!); buy myself some delicious gluten-free treats from the Whole Foods Bakehouse (or whatever it's called, but they make really good stuff).
- Check out Trader Joe's at Union Square. Have heard so much about it, yet have not actually set foot in there yet.
- Pilgrimage to DSW for shoes (let's hope they have more Prada and Marc Jacobs this time!). Must also go to Barney's and Bergdorf's and check out new jeans. (Hint of tiny hole on my Sevens, plus back pockets threads unraveling on my Paper Denims has sent me into extreme panic here in France, as prices for these jeans are nearly double what they are in New York).
- Annual pilgrimage to Woodbury Common. I know, it's far and it's not great since everything is like 3 seasons old, but I really like how it resembles a quaint little village but is made up entirely of stores.
- Barnes & Noble - must stock up on English language books. Also can hang out and read all day long while lounging around on the floor.
- Must have Starbuck's frappucino. I know there are Starbucks everywhere in Paris these days, but it's just not the same. (oooh! Maybe can have frappucino AT Starbuck's!! While reading magazines!)
- Watch season finales of Heroes and Ugly Betty, and maybe America's Next Top Model (okay, I am totally going to watch ANTM - horrible show but such a guilty pleasure!). So nobody call me on Monday, Wednesday, or Thursday night.
- Buy several bottles of BBQ sauce and Listerine as well as some Benadryl Severe Allergy Caplets to bring back to France.

As you can see, I intend on making the most of my stay in the U.S. and will participate in all things American that I cannot do in France (i.e. watch TV in ENGLISH and movies WITHOUT those stupid French subtitles that are never translated correctly). And eat some excellent non-French cuisine! Yay America!!!!!

2 comments:

Ksam said...

You might have thought of this already, but have you tried contacting any of the gluten-free associations in Paris or elsewhere in France? They might be able to give you ideas of a gluten-free baker or chef...

parisiannewyorker said...

Hey Sam-
Yep, I already thought of contacting the gluten free association in France but they are no help whatsoever, and will not dispense any free advice (you have to pay an annual subscription fee to be part of the association, and it's just not worth it because they don't really give out much info anyway).