Wednesday, March 21, 2007

"All the news that's fit to print...."

The last few days have been a bit chaotic, but for those of you who don't know, the BF and I are getting married! We're only doing the civil ceremony for now in France; it's the equivalent of a wedding at city hall, but it is mandatory here. I won't bore you with the details -- for now.

Anyway, I have decided that today I shall go to the Marché St-Pierre today. The Marché St-Pierre is where almost all the fabric stores can be found, and I am in search of some cheap chiffon to do some draping with. The thing is, I have been stalling my journey over there, because I absolutely dread fabric buying. It is always the same thing every time. You go there, you walk around the floors touching fabrics left and right and finally settle on something you would like to purchase. Then you have to flag down a salesperson to cut your yardage for you. It always takes an hour before you see anyone and then when you make a beeline for them, there are inevitably about 5 other people also rushing towards the salesperson. Then you get up the nerve to open your mouth and squeak out, "um, excuse me? I want to get...." upon which the salesperson will always say one of the following: "This is not my section/I'm busy/I'm going to lunch/I'm on my break/I'll be with you in 5 minutes" - unless they end up just abruptly walking away without a word. Obviously the "I'll be with you in 5 minutes" is a lie, because it's just a way to get you out of their hair. By the time you've finally flagged down another salesperson, it's 5 hours later and you've forgotten what fabric you wanted in the first place. Ugh.

In other news, I have become a master chef. Cooking is a necessity here in France as few people eat out as much as we do in New York, and delivery is not an option, much to my dismay. I admit I was not happy at first about having to cook, but then I figured I might as well make it a fun thing and now I experiment a lot and it has become somewhat of a pleasure. My new thing is soup. I make all my soups from scratch. I've only made 2 different types of soup so far (I made zucchini soup last week and yesterday I made potato leek soup) but my last two soups were greeted with so much praise that it has totally boosted my confidence. All you really need to do is cook the vegetables - and the beauty is that you can totally make up your own combination - they are all good! I like to steam my veggies for about 20 minutes, then I peel the skins, and then I put them in a pot with a little bit of water (all the chicken/beef/vegetable stocks in France have wheat, so I can't use them) then I mush them together with an electric mixer. I might add some Kiri (a French cheese which is basically cream cheese) for thickness, then I add salt, pepper, and some herbes de provence, and voilà! It's really easy and it doesn't take longer than 10 minutes after you've steamed the veggies.

No comments: