Tuesday, March 13, 2007

After the fact...

I'm back....had to run out to do some errands and I had some time to calm myself down from the panic swelling throughout my body by the mere idea that I have started a blog....anyway, yeah, it seems kind of silly to freak out about something as simple and harmless as a blog, but I guess at heart I am a very private person and I don't like the idea of being out there for the whole world to see. So as a sort of compromise, I've decided to make this a private blog, so that only you, my friends and loved ones, will be able to read my inner thoughts. Plus, some of y'all have been constantly singing the praises of my mad writing skillz, so I guess a blog is a good way to see if I like it. (And it's an excellent procrastination tool).


Anyway, as you all know, I just got back to Paris recently after a lovely two week trip back home to NYC. It was so nice to be back in the U.S. Plus, I rediscovered the Greatness that is American Television. I know it sounds stupid, but here in France, I hardly ever watch TV. I just can't stand it when everything is dubbed into French - the worst part being that the actor's mouths are moving, but what they're saying (in French) just isn't matching up with the movements of their mouths. There are SO MANY shows in the U.S.! My new favorite shows (replacing, alas, Friends) are Heroes and Ugly Betty.

The whole trip to NY would have been totally perfect had I not received a harrowing phone call from France summoning me for an interview. As you all know, it was only an internship, but it was with one of those giant luxury conglomerates, so I would have at least had a foot in the door. Alas, I got rejected...my first rejection EVER after an interview.... So as you can imagine, I was pretty miffed about the whole thing. The first few days were filled with self-doubt ("What did I do wrong? Do I suck?") to be followed with thoughts of anger ("How dare they reject ME?!?!?!"). And now I find myself in a bit of a slump. I'm thinking "OK, time to pick myself up and dust myself off and start over again" but at the same time I don't really want to....maybe I'm scared? I don't know what it is, but I suddenly find it super important to do stuff like clean the kitchen and organize the cupboards and my closet when I try to sit down to work on my new portfolio (having ripped the pages of my current one out, in a fit of anger -- but don't worry, it's not ruined) or writing a cover letter.
Anyway, it's back to the drawing board for me (literally), but not before I make some tea....and maybe vacuum....

1 comment:

NYCnoMC said...

Dede, you rock - I've been toying with the idea of starting a blog but I've read about the many people who have been fired from jobs by revealing too much about themselves (that their bosses didn't know) or stuff at work (which is confidential). You've inspired me!

Anyway, I wanted to post to tell you that if you have fallen back in love with American TV, I have a solution for you (as long as you promise that it won't take your procrastination away from blogging). Also, you have a Mac and I'm not sure if all of this is compatible with a Mac (so you have [and frankly deserve] the pain of figuring that one out if you are interested). I download all of my favorite shows from the internet so I don't miss American Idol, Heroes, Sopranos, Amazing Race (anyone wanna joing with me and help take down Brad and Amber?!), and the list goes on and on...Since I am the ultimate television addict here it goes.

Download DivX
http://www.divx.com/

Download BitComet (or a similar BitTorrent/FTP/HTTP download manager)
http://www.bitcomet.com/

Sign up to be a Member of TvTorrents (free)
http://tvtorrents.com

YOU CAN DOWNLOAD ALL YOUR FAV SHOWS WITH NO COMMERCIALS RIGHT AFTER THEY AIR!!!! WHOOOOOO!

Ok, too excited. I can't wait to keep reading you blog.

-Mike