Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Possibilities

Argh! I know I really should not, but I have been incredibly stressed out about this whole job thing. I keep asking "WHY??? WHY???" even though I learned for a fact the other night while out with other friends from design school that many companies are actually having a hiring freeze right now.

Anyway, I was all browsing around for some sort of a part-time job, as our funds are slowly dwindling (and thus making me even more stressed out) and saw a posting for a dogwalker. See, the thing is, I really do love animals (I grew up with cats) and I've always thought it would be something fun to do. I had actually been wanting to volunteer at the ASPCA (preferably doing something like dogwalking) so I've been thinking about this part time dogwalking thing. It's a large agency that provides dogwalking and pet-sitting services, and they only take people on part-time. The only problem is that I've never actually had a dog before - although as the H pointed out, it's not like it's very hard to do. The H thought it might be a good idea for me, as it would occupy some of my time, I'd make a few bucks doing it, and I can finally stop harassing him about adopting a dog:
Me: Please please please PLEASE let's adopt a dog!!!!
H: NO! Dogs belong in the country, not the city. It's inhumane to keep a dog in a Manhattan apartment.
Me: No it's not. Millions of people here have dogs. There are even DOG RUNS in the park! It'll be FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
H: Whatever. I do not want a dog. I do not want to walk around the streets of Manhattan picking up poop.
Me: But millions of people do it everyday here! And it looks like so much fun to take dogs to the dog run!
H: But you want a big dog, and our apartment is too small.
Me: You know, my old next door neighbor had a German Shepherd. And the couple behind our apartment has a medium sized dog. It looks like an Akita to me. Akitas are very cute dogs.
H: Dogs are a big responsibility. I don't see you getting up early in the morning to take the dog out for a walk.
Me: But I can! I love dogs!
H: But you've never had one before.
Me: And now, maybe I can, if we adopt one from the ASPCA!
H: Ugh. No dogs. I don't want a dog. And no bringing your cat over from your mom's house. I don't like cats - they are really scary.

Anyway, the problem is that the dogwalking agency wants people to be available during the days for a minimum of 5 months - which seems like a really long time to me, because what if I land a job in the next 5 months (which I hopefully will)? To complicate matters further, I heard back from an HR person from A Very Very Large Corporation with whom I met several weeks ago. She really wants to place me in the Large Corporation, as she thinks I "get" their aesthetic and she loves my work and I am just a very great all-around person. (Well, she didn't actually say that, but you know what I mean). A new position has opened up in the Large Corporation, but it would not be in womenswear, and would I be interested?, she asked. Well, it was all very confusing because it seemed to me like it was the same position she had in mind when we first met. I told her sure, I'd be interested, but wasn't that the same one she mentioned last time, and then she was all confused herself, then insisted it was a new position that had just opened up. (I highly doubt this, because it sounded exactly like the one she mentioned when we met). In any case, I said it was fine, and also (ah, how clever of me!) asked if they hired any freelancers. She was all, "Ooooh, yes, I shall forward your resume to my colleague who handles all the freelancers," so maybe something will turn up in that area. Although I must say, I am starting to get quite worried about this HR person - she is really such a nice person, and has such a great and warm personality, but I think maybe she is confused what with all the myriad of positions that may or may not be available within the Large Corporation.

Anyway, I guess I'll put the dogwalking idea on hold for now, although I'd be willing to bet thousands of dollars that once I say OK and commit to 5 months of 11am - 4 pm availability, something will come up on the job front within 2 weeks...

1 comment:

ashtanga en cevennes said...

All the more reason...

I hope something comes of that meeting.

And what about a dog that makes small poops, but has a big-dog personality? We had Maltese growing up and they had the funniest, coolest attitudes when compared with little yorkies. They were even cool around our big German Shepard!