Friday, June 27, 2008

Job Update

This afternoon I received my very first (real) job offer!

It is all very exciting.

I am still waiting to hear back however from the Large Corporation. I had to do a project for them and this morning I went and showed it to them. Not really sure how it all will turn out, but I know that I do have the profile they are looking for (the problem is that it is not womenswear, but childrenswear). Then when I got home after the project review, I received the offer from the Other Large Corporation - this one will be designing bras (again, not really my passion, but it would be a definite plus for my resume).

It has been a real adventure - I sought out the advice of (French) person here in NY who is a friend of a friend and also works in fashion. See, I was quite worried about either of these two positions as they were the most serious offers at the time, but I was quite obsessed with not becoming pigeon-holed into a specialty area (since my passion is actually high end womenswear). The Frenchie pointed out that yes, this would be a gigantic problem in France, and if we were in France, he would tell me to reject both offers (then again, this wouldn't be a problem as I would never even receive these offers in France!). Frenchie also said that in NY it is not really a problem to switch areas as it shows you are adaptable and blah blah. So now we'll wait and see if the Large Corporation from this afternoon will make an offer as well. I have to admit that for the time being I am leaning towards the bra designer job because a lot of womenswear is lingerie-inspired, and also because the people at this particular Corporation seem to be really, really nice. This is quite rare in fashion, especially the more high end designer you get, the bigger the chances are of working in a very negative atmosphere.

Anyway, this is really all very exciting. I have to have a background check and drug test should I accept the bra offer, and I have received my contract and a whole pamphlet about the benefits the Corporation offers (401k, health and dental!!). However, as I didn't understand anything about the insurance mumbo-jumbo, I will be discussing it with Mom, who will explain the finer details about things like PPOs, HMOs and whatnot. (I don't even know what an HMO is!) So exciting!

2 comments:

Ksam said...

OOooo, good luck, let us know what you decide!!

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Hey!!!! So great!