Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Benefits

Today I received my benefits and orientation packet from the Large Corporation. It is scary and exciting at the same time - scary because there are lots and lots of papers and forms to fill out, and exciting because I get lots and lots of benefits and this is really a big step in my life.

I admit, I do not think I will ever be passionate about bras, but I am quite tempted by all the perks of this job. This will be the first time in my life that I will have normal working hours - no crazy pre-fashion show hours (i.e. 9am - 2 am) - they have explained that I will get to go home every day no later than 6:30 pm. (On the other hand, I start much earlier than I have before - 9:30 am!) I have a REALLY good health insurance package, plus I get a 401k, life insurance, travel accident insurance, dental, and something about dismemberment (though I think this falls into travel accidents or something). The people on the team seem to be really very nice people, and I have been told, "There are no divas here; no people running and crying!" I mean, I realize that this is par for most jobs, but not where I have always worked.

So this will be a whole new interesting experience. Maybe I will love it, maybe I will hate it, but I am loving the feeling of freedom. I don't have to worry about staying here because there won't be any other positions open anywhere. And I don't have to worry about being pigeon-holed, as I would in France - people in New York actually LIKE it when you work in other areas.

Anyway, I'm hoping that maybe I can eventually volunteer at the ASPCA in the evenings - like maybe I can learn to walk dogs or something. We'll see how it goes.

I probably won't post very much this month, as I will be starting work next week. I probably also won't be writing very much about work - I'm already worried that I've written too much information, as I don't know what the company policy is on blogging (and believe me, I will NOT be asking - no one needs to know the real identity of Parisian New Yorker!)

Oh, and in another note, the in-laws can finally breathe a sigh of relief, in particular MIL, who was very stressed about the whole health insurance issue (the H can be covered under my plan as a beneficiary). Not to mention I had always claimed that it is much easier to find a job in the US, and within a week of my moving back to NY in March, they kept asking every other day, "So, where's your job? How come you haven't found your job yet? Huh? I thought it was so easy to find a job in the US?!" (the H is also guilty of doing this). Well, it may have taken a bit longer, but at least I had tons of interviews and people actually RESPONDED, plus I ended up with more different options (believe you me, I would never, ever have been offered an interview in anything other than womenswear in Paris).

No comments: