Tuesday, April 1, 2008

It's called "Star WarS"...

One of the better things about being back in the US is hearing words the way they are meant to be pronounced.

Much as the French hate to admit it, English has managed to creep its way into French vocabulary, but what is kind of endearing (or annoying, depending on my mood) is how the French have Frenchified it all.

For example:
Tum Onks = Tom Hanks.
Reeshar Zsere = Richard Gere
Patreeck Swayz = Patrick Swayze (I gotta admit, hearing "Patreeck Swayz" still makes me crack up)
Brad Peet = Brad Pitt
Nyk = Nike
Levees = Levis
Star War = Star Wars
Ow I Met Yore Mozere = How I Met Your Mother (that TV show that FSIL is a big fan of. Except when she was telling me about it, she kept pronouncing it in French and I was very confused for about 10 minutes)
Owse = House (the TV show) (That one also threw me off, when this summer FSIL's friend was all, "Oh my gosh you have to watch this new TV show called Owse, it's really good!" and I was like, "Oooh, I never heard of it, is it an American show?")
Arnaud et Willy = Different Strokes
Zsorge Cloonay = George Clooney
Goldie Awn = Goldie Hawn
Gweeness Paltrow = Gwyneth Paltrow
Eetan Awk = Ethan Hawke
Reese Weesserspoooon = Reese Witherspoon
Uma Tureman = Uma Thurman
Neecole Keedmahn = Nicole Kidman
"un sweet" = sweats
Calveen Klah = Calvin Klein
Cate Blonshett = Cate Blanchett
Eees Legere = Heath Ledger
Michale/Keerk Dooglass = Michael/Kirk Douglas
U Gront = Hugh Grant
Lahdee Dee = Princess Diana of Wales (or Lady Di, as the French call her)
Eeex Men = The X-Men
Zsorge/Barr-Barah Booosh = George/Barbara Bush
Ilary/Beel Cleentonn = Hillary/Bill Clinton
Meet Rohmnay = Mitt Romney
Beep-Beep (actually spelled "Bip-Bip" in French) = Road Runner
Mee-kay = Mickey Mouse
Kees Reechars = Keith Richards
Meek Jaggere = Mick Jagger
Bub Deelahn = Bob Dylan
Justeen Teembearlake = Justin Timberlake
Orrrr-Aaay = Jorge (not a celebrity or anything, but the name of this Mexican guy who married this French girl I know. I only met him once at a wedding of this other couple, and I was all, "Hey, what's your name?" and he was like, "Zsorge" and I was like, "Cool, where are you from?" and he said, "Mexico" and I went, "Oh! So, is your name really Jorge?" and he said, "Yes, but French people can't pronounce my name." Then these French people standing near us overheard and they asked in alarm, "How do you pronounce your name????" Then they tried saying "Jorge" for 15 minutes before they gave up).

**Edit:
Estair = Hester (from The Scarlet Letter). I just remembered when I was a student in Paris and I watched part of The Scarlet Letter on TV and I was really confused for about 20 minutes. I hadn't read the book since high school and then they kept referring to Demi Moore as Estair. I was all confused, like, "I don't remember any Esther in the book....let alone as the main character, which Demi Moore must surely be..." Then when the movie was over I was like, "Ohhhh! Hester Prynne!!!!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG. I'm cracking up. I'm back in France for a very quick trip, and I haven't yet turned on the TV, but I know I will hear at least one of the things on your list if I do.

parisiannewyorker said...

Have fun in France!

You'll most likely hear about Ilary and Booosh, what with the elections and all.

Unless the French are gloating about Brad Peet and Angelina Jolie giving birth in France. Then it will be all about "Ma-ducks", "Za-Arah", and "Sheelo". (And "Pax" too, but that's not funny since it's more or less the same in French and English).

L said...

Don't forget Sous Park (South Park) and the star of Buffy, Saraah Michelle Jeller. Ian (as in Ian) McKellan comes out Jan too. I can't remember the weird way Ewan McGreggor's name is pronounced, but it always makes me laugh.

parisiannewyorker said...

Can't say that I remember either how the French pronounce Ewan McGregor. Though I'd guess McGregor would be Machgraygore.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Sous Park. That reminds me that the H is a big fan of Ze Seemp Son (= The Simpsons). And of course there is also Omair Seemp Son.