Friday, July 6, 2007

J-14

So, yesterday I was on theknot.com, which is kind of like this wedding planning website. I registered with them, put in the date of the wedding, and there's this huge checklist of things to do, in addition to the site automatically counting down the days to your wedding.

Imagine my surprise when I logged on (admittedly, before yesterday, I had logged on once, and it was at J-79 days to the wedding), it said "15 days until wedding".

Yikes!!!!

I cannot believe how fast time has flown!!!!

I went through the checklist (mostly useless for this wedding, since the checklist has things like "Book photographer and videographer", "Buy garter", "Book honeymoon tickets", "Final tasting appointment for wedding cake and caterer", and "Confirm flower decorations for church". I ended up checking off all the unnecessary things on the list (like, 100 things) and now have a teensy tiny list with things like "Book manicure/pedicure" and "Final fitting for wedding dress."

I often pride myself on my organizational skills, but this time, I have realized my organizational skills are practically nil when it is about me. For example, I completely let the whole facial thing slide, so now it is too late to book a facial. I also completely forgot about the whole hairstyle thing and it is too late to book an appointment at a nice hair salon, so I am stuck going to the likes of Franck Provost or Jean-Louis David (which is all fairness, is actually not so bad, though not as great as a fancy hair salon). I literally just decided last night how I want to wear my hair, so I am going to hop over to Franck Provost and get my hair cut short, then I guess I'll need to go shopping for hair accessories. I suppose I should also book a manicure/pedicure for the day before the wedding. Oh, yes, and I have to pick out my bouquet and get ribbons for decorating it, plus the few mini vases on the tables, and for the cars.

Finally, the wedding dress is coming along beautifully - I designed the dress and gave the sketch to the SIL (she is 18, and in her first year at fashion school, and she is really good at all the technical aspects, like sewing and pattern making - she sews to relax!) who has spent the last few days sewing the dress together and trying to get it done before she went on vacation with her BF's family this morning. We ended up draping the entire dress directly on me and pinning and marking things in place - we have the sheath part of the dress completely finished, and yesterday was the next to final fitting, where we draped the other parts of the dress. I just have to say that my dress is really beautiful, and I'm very proud of the SIL for doing such a great job. She'll be back on the 16th (J-5), and so the dress should be finished by the 18th at the latest.

I absolutely cannot believe how much work goes into planning such a tiny wedding - I mean, at current count, there are 21 people, including the BF and myself.

I cannot even begin to imagine how crazy it would be to plan a normal sized wedding (by "normal sized" I mean like, 100 guests).

Though, when a wedding is normal-sized, you can totally register for gifts. To my great dismay, the BF and I are not registering, given the tiny number of guests, which would have meant that we'd have gotten 1 knife, 1 plate, and like, 2 wine glasses.

No comments: